209.521.0181 | 1301 12th Street, Modesto, CA 95354 | info at cpmodesto.org
When you have a child with cognitive, physical or behavioral impairments, it is difficult to find a place to worship. We want to give you a place you can call home where your child is lovingly accepted as part of God's family and given a safe place to worship. At the same time, we want you to be able to worship God and serve Him with your gifts and talents. By offering our Bridges class during both morning worship services, this allows you to attend a worship service and take an adult class or serve in a ministry.
We know the Holy Spirit within each child is perfect. It is our responsibility to present the Gospel as best we can and leave the results to God. We are constantly blessed and amazed at what God is teaching to both our students and to us.
How does it work?
Bridges consists of special needs classrooms and a one-on-one buddy program designed to meet your child's unique needs.
Three classrooms are specially equipped to accommodate a wide range of abilities and ages. These small groups are able to adapt to the individual needs of each child.
- Various fun techniques are used to teach Bible stories in a way that caters to your child's learning style.
- We adapt curriculum to meet the needs of each child, whether they are non-verbal with little communication or are able to read.
- An adult to student ratio of approximately 2:1 varies according to the needs of the students.
- A modified Picture Exchange System helps with schedules and lessons.
- A positive reward system customized to your child encourages appropriate behavior.
- Computers, videos, and gross and fine motor activities are available in each classroom.
- Electronic pagers allow us to contact you if necessary.
- There is an ADA-approved family restroom.
- We have a two-way mirror between classrooms so you may observe your child if you wish.
If your child is able to be in a regular Sunday school class, but needs some assistance, we provide a buddy who will stay with them each week.
How do we get started?
First, it's best to talk with Kathy Weltner or Tracy Blount, our directors. They'll discuss your child's needs with you and together you'll decide the best place for your child - either in the Buddy program or one of the Bridges classrooms. An intake form will help us know your child better so we can provide the highest quality care.
If you visit on a Sunday morning prior to talking with us, you are welcome to observe the ministry. However, you'll only be able to leave your child with us if there is a qualified helper available.